Monday, January 16, 2006

Does this count?

After much pondering and "is he ready?" or "should we wait?" and reading and re-reading the signs of readiness and how to get started, Julian got his first taste of solids.

I'm not sure if we can really say he ate solids but he had some in his mouth nonetheless. I was so torn over what to start off with. I had always planned on skipping the cereals and using the baby-led approach but with food sensitivities running rampant around here I didn't know what was best. All the more reason to hold off but I'm just not that patient. Rice cereal would most likely be the safest but man, I've been up to my eyeballs in rice around here, I could not bring myself to push it on him. Regardless I bought some ORGANIC rice cereal (not just because organic is better but because the Gerber garbage has S-O-Y!) waiting for the prime opportunity. Well we thought the opportunity arrived but we just happened to have some nice looking bananas on hand. And we went with it.



Surprisngly he showed very little interest. I thought he'd at least like to feel it squish between his little nubs but after a few tastes he was over it and off the tray it went. I stuck with the banana for a couple more days, making sure to put absolutely NO pressure on him to eat it, and still his interest became less and less.

Still the rice cereal sat but it still just wasn't talking to me. I looked around to see what else I could pawn off on him and it came down to apples or avocado. Being way too lazy to peel and cut up an avocado I went for the apple. Well, honestly it allowed me to finally use my handy-dandy apple slicer for the first time. I knew I got that darn thing for a reason.

The reaction to the apples was much more pleasant. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy it until a piece broke off into his mouth and he acted like it was a piece of pooh with the way his face contorted right before he spit it out. Aside from that, he enjoyed sucking away on the apple slices for a good 20 minutes while I ate my breakfast.



What is it with babies and solids? Maybe I've just been craving variety for so long I can't understand why they wouldn't gobble this up. I think if he could live solely off of breastmilk for the rest of his life he would. Especially judging by the way he reacted to water in his sippy cup, I think he thought I gave him rat poisoning. Wait until he tastes my actual cooking.

Unrelated yet just as good looking:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home