Sunday, December 18, 2005

Trials and Tribulations

We got Julian's blood results back and his iron levels are completely normal. No need for supplements, yeah! But, my corn trial failed. It's really hard to gauge but I spoke with his allergist Friday and told him a few things and he told me to pull it. Yeah Mr. MD "corn is frequently blamed but rarely the cause" huh? I did eat a LOT of corn in a few days to make sure it was concentrated enough to pass through the breast milk so maybe in the future when I have more foods in my diet, I will retrial it and eat a normal serving. Maybe in regular human doses he won't react.

I've also been having supply issues. I could tell there was a big drop and Julian seemed to be getting fussier especially when nursing and nursing literally all night long. He was getting very impatient and his urine output seemed to taper off. Also he was weighed at the doctors on Friday and he had only gained 12 oz (now 17 lbs 12 oz) from his last appointment just over a month ago. The norm for a breastfed baby his age is 16 - 20 oz in a month. The doctor wasn't that pleased with his weight gain and neither am I but he is still gaining. The doctor wasn't too worried since he's still in the low 80% range and he has plenty of meat on his bones to spare but it's bothersome since he's always gained more than average now it's below average.

I know many other TED'ers experienced low supply when they removed oats from their diet. And since the allergist said oats would be my next trial I went ahead and tried them for the first time on Saturday after waiting a day from my last corn trial. I wanted to wait longer to make sure everything cleared up for accurate results but after a very frustrating nursing session I went and ate oatmeal as fast as I could. I've already noticed an improvement in supply.

I'm on the end of day 2 of the oat trial and I THINK it's going OK. I'm very excited about having oats because I actually was able to make an oatmeal cookie (sans butter, egg, milk) with the help of some gourmet friends. It's good too, even Bryan approves unlike some of my other diet concoctions (remember the sweet potato cookies??). Someone also gave me a recipe to make a safe granola so that will be good with rice milk.

I'm also able to add apples, bananas, grapes and peaches. The allergist said it would be so rare they would cause a problem I could add those all at once. Yeah heard that before. But I'm going to try after and actually I used peach applesauce in my oatmeal cookies. AND I even had a decaf coffee that day. It was very risky and exciting, I added oats, apples, peaches, decaf coffee and cinnamon (oh yea forgot to mention I snuck that in my cookies too, didn't I) all in 1 day. Somebody stop me because I'm going crazy, watch out! So far so good. After another good day or so with oats I'm going to add all the fruits in true form and then if those go OK my next trial is pork. All forms of pork too like ham and BACON!!!! Wish I had some eggs to go with that. Someday I'll actually have enough foods to have a normal meal again instead of eating turkey burgers with oatmeal.

I think I'll trial pork on Christmas, a little gift to myself. Normally I'd ask for diamonds but ham will suffice this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home