Thursday, December 01, 2005

If this is teething how do I stop the rest of the teeth from coming in

For the first time ever, Julian had a long crying fit the other night where I had no idea what to do. Monday he was the happiest baby in the world. Tuesday he was pretty happy but a little more mood swingish. Just like his mama. So Tuesday, he was taking his afternoon catnap and I decided to jump in the shower. He woke up before I could dry my hair so I had a towel wrapped around my head. He woke up in a good mood but he kept staring at my head and looking at me suspiciously. I don't think he knew it was me or he was thinking "uh ma, don't look now but there is something really wrong with your head." I mean seriously he didn't know what to think. Looking at my face, looking at the top of my head, back to face, back to head, back to face, back to head. He was clearly confused. Anyway I took him downstairs to play and 2 tugs on his ear later, all heck broke loose.

"Waaaah, wahhhh, waaaah! Scream, scream, someone call the cops because my mother is piercing me with hot metal skewers!" Now that is what I call a mood swing. At first I thought it was my towel head. I thought maybe I am really freaking him out. "Julian it's Mama, don't worry baby it's me!" I took it off, showed him my hair, still crying. I tried everything. Tried distracting him with silly toys and stupid faces, tried rocking him, tried walking him in and out of the sling, tried nursing him, tried nursing him back to sleep or into a coma which ever would make the screaming stop. I tried to massage his gums incase that was the problem, he screamed more. I tried to give him cold teething ring and he wanted nothing to do with it. I was out of ideas.

Then in a last ditch effort I took a washcloth and soaked it in ice-cold breastmilk which I just happened to have plenty of in the fridge, not like it was gonna be used in a bottle or anything. I took the dripping, freezing washcloth and gagged him with it gently put it in his mouth and he instantly stopped crying and started sucking the milk out of it. Oh thank God the crying stopped.

I'm assuming this is teething related. Once the milk was gone and the cloth was room temp he got upset. I got a backup and we were back in business. He was still a little tempermental but it was nothing like the screamfest we had going on. I swear his gums on the bottom center look a little raised. Bryan didn't notice anything and maybe I'm imagining it because I need that to be the excuse. But if this was because of teething, these teeth better cut through soon because this sucks! Bad enough he has to have more than 1 tooth in the first place. I was hoping it was a fluke but Wednesday the exact same time (again after his evening catnap) he woke up screaming. And today once again but for a much shorter period. Guess we have this to look forward to 20 times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home