Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Biopsy results are in!

We are still waiting on the blood results about the iron levels. I called them today and they said it could take a couple of weeks. The biopsy results came back looking good, showing no signs of eosinophils which would indicate allergic colitis. So the official diagnosis is lymph nodular hyperplasia. But she said that was after I've been on a TED for quite a long time so she really feels it was allergic colitis but by the time we did the biopsy, the diet made an improvement. But we'll never know for sure. Kind of typical for us the way things are going to not have a clear cut diagnosis. Lymph nodular hyperplasia (LNH from here on out because you keep trying to type that over and over) is extremely common in infants and toddlers up to the age of 4 I believe. And it's normal to an extent but it can also be caused or irritated by food, so might as well be allergic colitis. But since it's not at this point she said he'll be one of those kids that outgrow this sooner than later. I'm holding her to that, I really hate when I get my hopes up to be shot down. It's good that his gut has been healing and the LNH seemed to be more down by his rectum. It was surprising since he was still having green stools with specs of blood but I think the block feeding has been helping that. If I did the block feeding all along with my TED he probably would have baselined by now. Long story short, everything looks good and she said she "cannot, with good conscious, recommend me to switch to formula." Here here and good to know because I didn't want to be doing this diet for no reason.

She also says it's OK to start adding foods back. But her method is different than the allergists. I told the GI he said to start with corn. So today I ate real corn for the first time. Then I talk to the GI and she wouldn't recommend eating corn straight up, too late now, but rather use corn flour in cooking and slowly increase the corn products until I get to straight up corn. And to only add foods like every 3 weeks. A big difference from the allergist just telling me to add corn, not specifying starting with mild corn products, and add something new every 3 or 4 days. But if I follow her method, adding corn flour, then waiting 3 weeks before adding corn starch and so on, I won't get to actual corn for 6 years!

So do you listen to the allergist who probably knows more about the allergic reactions of food or the GI who knows more about the damage these allergic reactions could do? I think everyone needs to start listening to me and I'll do it my way. Which is, uh, um, I don't know at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home