Friday, June 03, 2005

Apparently there is nothing to taking care of a baby

We had our Baby Care class yesterday and it was a big waste of time. I'd skip the 2nd class next week but unfortunately that's the one I want to go to where it talks about the choking and infant CPR stuff. But last night the first hour was like show and tell of baby gear. But it was so basic and common sense (like at this point you think we've never seen a onsie before?!) we were thinking of bailing at the break. It did pick up a little at the second half but I still don't feel it provided any additional knowledge (the video on Shaken Baby Syndrome was a little disturbing). It did emphasize how you can't "spoil" a baby by acknowledging their crying and trying to sooth with touch, comfort or even a pacifier. We already knew that but there are some old schools of thought that actually think an infant can be "spoiled" in that manner. We did learn more about the process of circumcision and after actually seeing it and really thinking about the process, it does make one really question whether it's worth it or not.

Overall I'd have to say the class wasn't worth it. Definitely could have cut out the first hour. Can't win them all but they better be nice and detailed when it comes to the CPR next week!

I'm still feeling pretty good for the most part. Sometimes the Braxton Hicks contractions are out of control but nothing painful. The baby gets the hiccups I think nightly now and you can really feel his limbs at times these days!

Oh I do have one complaint, the whole overactive bladder!! Now I know the bladder woes of a girl in her 3rd trimester is nothing new but I just need to complain about it for a second. It's been annoying and now it's just painful! I always had an active bladder from pregnancy day 1. It never slowed down as I read it would in the 2nd trimester but it is raging now.

Not only do I get up an average of every 30 minutes throughout the night but it goes from empty to full in seconds. Fine I have a full bladder but when it's full it hurts! It feels like my bladder is hanging between my knees. I can hardly get out of bed to empty it because it's too painful to get up let alone to walk to the bathroom (while trying to dodge the claws of our evil cat). But once I go there is nothing more satisfying. Unfortunately the satisfaction only lasts a brief moment until I'm paralyzed with bladder overload once again. Ahh, such is life and only 6 more weeks to go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While some of the safety information - Shaken Baby and SIDS especially - may seem "common sense" to you, it is not common knowledge among some parents, and more importantly, it is not common knowledge among grandparents, teenaged babysitters, "informal" (unlicensed child care providers, and older folks (eg. grandparents).
Sure the odds are that nothing will happen to your child (only 1 child in 1389 will die of SIDS, and only 1 in 2200 will be shaken. However, the odds on winning a six number jackpot are 1 in 14,000,000. Ever bought a lottery ticket?)
Before dismissing information about SBS as "common sense", wait until you've been up at 2 and 4 in the morning every week for for six weeks to tend to a crying baby.
That might not be you, but 15-25% of babies have colic, and new parents lose 700 hours of sleep the first year. Perhaps you already knew that that nearly 60% of new parents confessed they had thoughts of hurting their child.
If you really want to keep your baby safe, it entails knowing about the causes and consequences, educating other caregivers how to care for your child, and ensuring that they have prepared a coping plan.
Only your family is going to care for your child? Talk to some parents of two year olds and see how they dealt with an unexpected illness or injury in their family. Who will care for your child when you have to take your mom to the hospital when she gets the flu?
And so on...

Good luck, George

5:54 PM  
Blogger Julian said...

Thanks for your comment George but if you were reading closely I was talking about the show and tell portion of the class ie. showing the class what a onesie is.

And since you felt the need to warn me about what it's like to wake up at 2 and 4 w/a colicky baby..um, thanks but if you've read at all my baby is now 10 months old and we still wake up more than twice a night...if I only woke up at 2 and 4 that would be fantastic. And our son did seem to be colicky so I do know what it's like to have a baby screaming for no apparent reason endlessly for weeks. Turns out our situation was due to food allergies via breast milk. So then I had to go down to eating only turkey and rice every meal every day so I do know a bit about what frustrations can come from raising a child.

And yeah only my family is going to care for my child and has up to this point. Both of our Grandparents live close by so if one side has a family emergency there is always the other. Sure there COULD be an emergency on both sides or some freak instance where both sets of Grandparents are unavailable but can't prepare the whole world to take care of my child, now can I?

Not sure why I'm even responding as this post is almost a year old before I had my baby. I never said knowledge about SBS or SIDS is common sense, I was saying the class did not cover what should have been covered. Our son is now 10 months old and I would still say the same thing about the dumb class.

Your comment was irrelevant and not at all accurate to what I was talking about. But if you need to continue being self-righteous, please continue.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home