Thursday, May 19, 2005

Interview with a vampire

Fine, he wasn't a vampire but almost just as bad...HE HAD A MULLET. Yes the potential pediatrician we met with yesterday had a mullet. And it wasn't the hip version that was coming back around, like the one my friend Pepper had. This was your good ol' fashioned business in the front, party in the back. Can I see us putting our son's life in the hands of a mullet man? That is the question we are currently trying to answer. I'm sure there is no correlation between his hairstyle and his medical skill, but it makes me wonder "how can I ensure he is up on all the latest treatments when he can't even keep up on men's hairstyles."

Aside from that, he seemed like a good doctor. I can't say I left there like "oh yeah he's totally the one" but there wasn't anything I didn't like (aside from said hair). I was surprised that he hadn’t heard of Attachment Parenting, that doesn’t sit too well with me. It’s not really a new concept. I can’t say it’s mainstream but I thought someone in his field would have at least heard it mentioned before. We haven't finalized our decision but not sure if we'll be interviewing anymore. He seemed like he was on the same page with parenting lifestyles as we were. He is a little green but I kinda liked that he was on the younger side. He is a Johns Hopkins doctor which are supposed to be great. He's located within walking distance of our house; he does have some evening appointments which were all things I was looking for. And it's not like we're forced to stay with him if it doesn't work out.

One thing that really bothered me was the receptionists. We've had 4 interactions with them, all very unpleasant. Normally I would have moved on right then but I made several calls to other offices and they were all just as bad. Good help must be hard to find in pediatrics. The first time I called the girl was just very unfriendly...I didn't even know if I had the correct place because she answered the phone so unprofessionally. The 2nd time I called to schedule the appointment the girl must have been new. I had to repeat my information (and repeatedly tell her I couldn't give her my son's name or date of birth BECAUSE HE WASN'T BORN YET.) 3rd, Bryan called to reschedule our appointment which of course they couldn't find anywhere in the system. They eventually found it but it was because of girl #2 had my first name, last name, address and date of birth ALL WRONG despite me telling her about 20 times. Then last night was probably the worst, in person too. The girl (who I’m thinking was the unprofessional girl I talked to the very first time) was just rude and got a very bad attitude when I filled out the form wrong. Silly me for thinking that I should put mine and Bryan’s info as the mother and father. Apparently she wanted MY parent’s information which still does not make sense to me.

Anyway it was very silly and we told the Doctor how poorly it was handled. He seemed sincerely apologetic for their rudeness. He also ensured me that if I had to call with any issues I wouldn't be dealing with them. I hate to think that we would pass up a good doctor because of bad receptionists. So we're still officially undecided at the moment but feel he is a good potential candidate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home