Friday, April 07, 2006

How much can I cram into one post

Since my time to post updates is more limited now, this is one long post...

The last two days have been pretty crappy but it's been in the making for a week or so. We had a good thing going too and now it's gone. Julian was napping 3 times a day, decent length too anywhere from 1 - 2 hours. It had a nice consistent schedule that he came up with all on his very own, first nap at 8, second at 11 and third at about 3. It coincided well with what we did during our day, Tuesdays he'd be awake in time from nap #1 to go to Mother Goose and by the time we got home he was ready for nap #2.

Then he had to go and do something stupid like grow and develop and throw our napping all out of whack. Unfortunately I don't grow and develop nearly as quickly. Once I catch on that we have a little system going and I get comfortable with this system, he's ready for something new. We've had to miss Mother Goose; I don't know when it is a good time to leave the house or how to plan for anything. Do you know what this does to my overly structured mind? Not pretty things I tell you. It takes me a few days to even realize that our former schedule isn't working. I'm all like "hey its 8am Julian, time for your nap!" And he's all like "oh heck no, I'm not ready and to prove it I'll slap the poop out of you and pull your hair when you pick me up. Then I'll proceed to push off your body with my legs and look as if I am rock climbing onto your head." Seriously I feel like I'm in a fist fight, I can hear people yelling "CAT FIGHT!" Before I even know what happened he has beaten me up. Sorry Julian, I had no idea. Now I finally realize we need to come up with a new plan and I'm trying to follow his lead but it feels as if he's leading me right off a cliff. All day long he's whiney and dangling from my leg, yawning and rubbing his eyes. But don't dare take that as a sign he's tired unless you want a butt whoopin'.

So basically the last couple days I've been sitting here scratching my head thinking what the heck as I try to come up with the best escape route. But he's on me like a hawk, eyeballin' my every move. I wanted to act like things are all OK and go to Mother Goose Tuesday but in order for me to leave the house I need to shower because dude, I haven't showered since Saturday. I can't show up to Mother Goose where those moms are, looking like I just got beat up by an almost 9 month old even though I did in fact get beat up by an almost 9 month old. But they don't need to know that. All they need to know is I'm one put together mom, fully in charge. Look at me, I'm confident I have my stuff together yet we are still all laid back cool. I'm not freaking out, why do I look like I'm freaking out because OH MY GOD I'M FREAKING OUT. I just...wanted...a...shower. What I got was a cold rinse because I had to shower with the curtain half open letting out all the soothing hot air while old hawk eye stared me down as he hung from outside the tub doing his angry monkey sound. His hair became more and more jheri curled from the mist spraying onto him. But that didn't stop him. The second I step out of the shower he's locked on me like a koala clip. A koala clip with a jheri curl.

I can't blame the kid though and he makes up for it throughout the day. Just when I'm ready to run away he flashes that smile and initiates the cat and mouse game, laughing hysterically as he books across the room. I can't resist so I go chasing after forgetting all that he's put me through today and I laugh right along. Then he slaps my hand and says "No more fun for you. You must suffer now." I try and sneak off to send SOS calls to Bryan on instant messenger but no luck. Can't connect to IM, Julian has cut off my ties to the outside world and I'm afraid I won't make it until tomorrow.

*Edited to add: I wrote this Wednesday but my captive wouldn't allow me to hit the publish button. So actually Wednesday was a little better, yesterday was good and today has been decent so far too. I think we're starting to get into a groove again. He was definitely weaning me from his 3rd nap. Oh 3rd nap I miss you so! So now we're just trying to figure out the best times for his 2 naps. As much as I like my breaks, I'm glad he's not napping all day. More time for us to actually do something outside of the house. I'm afriad this means an end to our Mother Goose days because right now his morning naps falls during that time. For now at least.

I know I already mentioned it but I need to say it again because I'm so proud and excited! I said how our shop was one of the top 10 but I didn't really get into just how impressive this is. This is out of all the Cafepress stores. I'm not sure how many stores there are but there are over 22 MILLION products. We have about 300 of those and ours are in the top 10! Plus we raised our prices starting in April and sales still increased. Exciting stuff, eh? So we have a short term plan to transition to our own online store possibly next year selling other stuff in addition to the t's but then we have an even longer term goal but let's not get too far ahead!

Other coolness: Some baby shoe company saw pictures of Julian (through Flickr b/c they are public) and emailed me saying they noticed how he has so many pairs of shoes. They told me to go to their site and pick out a pair compliments of them. So naturally I'm gonna take a free pair of shoes when offered! I emailed them the ones I wanted and happened to mention I liked this cloth diaper they sell but it was out of stock. I was asking if it was one they would be carrying again. Next thing I know she tells me they found one not inventoried and they were sending that to me for free too! But there's more! I got the goods and thanked them but mentioned they were too big right now but it wasn't a big deal b/c he'd grow into them in no time. A couple days later there was ANOTHER pair of shoes and a diaper in a smaller size with a note saying "he has to have ones that fit!" Pretty cool, huh? We just got $80 worth of free swag for Julian.

It's funny, just when I think I'm doing things OK I hang out with another mom and realize I was wrong. I was hanging out at the park with Julian and a friend yesterday. Our trips to the park usually consist of me chasing Julian around trying to open his death grip and release all the leaves, dirt and sticks he has pillaged from Mother Nature. Not exactly my idea of a relaxing trip to the park but it's fun for him. I also think it's good for him to know that there actually exists a world outside our door that requires you to get out of your pajamas every now and then.

I do pretty good at keeping him from eating things but I guess I'm pretty laid back in other areas. I was standing behind Julian as he was on a modernized version of a see-saw when my friend said to him "oh don't put your mouth on that!" I already knew he was gnawing on the handle but I felt the need to say "Oh, oh yeah! No you shouldn't do that, ewwww, yucky! What are you crazy?"

*Mental note: It's not cool for Julian to suck on germ infested handle as I originally thought.

Hey, I was just happy it wasn't something he could swallow. I've lowered my standards greatly. He can lick a toilet for all I care as long as it's too big for him to fit in his mouth. I've learned that I just can't keep him from wanting to suck on dirty things. It's impossible to stop him. I'd need an army of 10 just to keep eye on him and remove every germified thing within his reach. Yeah the no chewing on the rubber dog bone rule? Gone. No putting mouths on the shopping cart handles? Outta here. I do try and limit to an extent but you can run yourself ragged trying to stop it all. I am at peace with this. Don't ruin my peace!

One last random thing before I leave you with a few photos. I am beginning a site that does product reviews on baby gear. I'm hoping this will catch on and I make a few bucks from advertising, plus more free stuff wouldn't hurt. I've actually made $75 from advertisers already. It won't pay the mortgage but if I can make a few bucks here and a few bucks there, it sure won't hurt anything. This will never be a cash cow as Bryan is hoping but it's more of a hobby. I'm holding contests and I already got a girl to donate something from her store for April's prize and the company that gave us the shoes offered up a $50 gift certificate for May's contest. I don't really have many readers yet though. But it's still pretty fun. I've been reviewing things we already own but I'll eventually run out of those things and have to start shopping more. DARN! One of my advertising options in addition to buying an add or sponsoring a contest is the company can send me a sample and I'll write a review on it. Then we keep the stuff :) Although it's not the best time to start this with Julian in his ultra-clingy phase. Very difficult to find time to write when I can think clearly. Well I guess it's not like I can get fired or anything if I don't write!

Well the moment you've been waiting for...(more photos coming soon)


love the little chub hands. Someone once told me they aren't babies anymore once they lose the dimples on their hands. Looks like we still have a ways to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home